Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Flight of the Phoenix!


I couldn't resist the title of this posting! I have just had my first flight in a glider and absolutely loved it.

It was another Zest outing, this time just for me, as A is on holiday in menorca with his dad. I was really quite nervous beforehand, and even had a dream about it the nite before, where I nearly fell out of the plane. But it was really wonderful and I would love to do it again.

The first flight was to do aerobatics... we did loop the loop and some other fancy manoeuvres, before a very tight landing. The sensation of being upside down at speed was indescribable! Then it was off for a longer glide over a nearby hill, where I could look down on the hang gliders and enjoy the brilliant sensation of feeling as free as a bird. The pilot was great, very reassuring and patient, esp when I had a go with the controls, and set us off towards the ground at a rate of knots! I quickly decided to leave the plane in his capable hands and simply enjoy the ride.

The thing that struck me afterwards was how the fear of the flight very nearly made me not do it, and I could so easily have missed this wonderful time. Fear is a very natural emotion and it must not stop us from experiencing things, simply help us to check that we are not being totally foolish or taking unfeasible risks. If we can use it to have a check about risk when we want to try sthg different or change sthg, and then overcome it, we grow and move on.

So what do you fear? Is the fear a reasonable one or simply the result of your overactive imagination? Maybe others have put the fear into your mind. What does your inner voice tell you? What fear can you over come this week? To quote Susan Jeffers, is it time to Feel the Fear - and Do it Anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment