Friday, February 27, 2009

Giving up wine n chocs for Lent ...!

Now why did I do that? It was Pancake Day and my son and I were on the way to the school bus. I was explaining to him what it was about ... you know, 'Well the real reason why we have pancakes is, er, it's something to do with Easter and Jesus, and giving up things for Lent, so we have to eat up all the eggs and milk and lemons and caster sugar and golden syrup and ...'

Anyway, this led A to ask me what I was giving up for Lent (kids - ha!) and that's when I heard myself say I was giving up eating chocolate and drinking wine .... He sort of smiled and then said, 'Right - well, I could give up eating chocolates'. I pointed out that he didn't really like chocolate so that was not really going to be a hardship, now was it?!
So then he said he would give up sweets, which is more of a big deal with him, and he added, 'Cos it's not good for my teeth, is it Mum?'
I was really stuck then, cos he was taking it seriously, and if he was going to, then so did I - didn't I? I did a bit of thinking (not easy at 7.45am) and said, 'OK, well then you give up sweets and I'll give up chocolates till Easter Sunday, and I will give up wine during the week.'
So that's what we have agreed - and amazingly, so far we have not eaten any sweets, chocolates or drunk any wine (the wine's me, not him you understand!). Admittedly, I have got a cold and cough and haven't felt like it, and it is only 3 days so far, but even so ...!
I'm still not sure why we did it, (not having much of a religious streak, and never having given anything up voluntarily before!) but it may not be a bad thing ... and my clothes could just fit a bit better for when spring does finally come. I'll keep you posted.
If you were to give up one thing till Easter Sunday, what would it be? Look at the positive benefits you might get - and it's not for too long. Let me know if you like, and we'll keep each other company ...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 pm

    Zoe, I have given it some thought about giving something up for lent, but I don't think Bill will agree with me !! hee hee! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Sandy, you know what they say about abstinance making hearts - but yeah, get your drift ...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe, I always give up Brussel Sprouts for Lent. I feel very virtuous about it too.

    On the 'spiritual' side I am giving up being afraid - hope it lasts longer than Lent. I will not be afraid of being me, I will not be afraid to say 'no' to those little extra things that drag my life/work down and I will not be afraid to try something new.

    Best of luck on your abstinence x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Sharon - going well so far, but still got cold so maybe it doesn't count. Good for you about being 'YOU@. It's not as easy as some people think. Keep me posted ...

    ReplyDelete