Sunday, July 08, 2007

Gawthorpe Hall

This time I have not really got any idea what the blog is about - just thought I would put one up and see where it goes. I have had a fairly low key weekend with a nasty cold to keep me company. Had to cancel friends coming over for the weekend and my son is with his Dad, so went thru the usual downer when I am on my own, feeling sorry for myself.

Well, got bored with that and decided to go out this afternoon as I was feeling a lot better. Drove over to Burnley and visited a National Trust house, Gawthorpe Hall. It is full of the most amazing embroideries from around the world, including China, Afghanistan, Egypt, Japan, South Sea Islands and the UK. What really took my eye was the display of miniature embroidery - tiny little pieces, mostly no more that an inch square, of the most exquisite work. There were two minute 'Elizabethan Gauntlets' that would have fitted A's hamster, with delicate stitching only really visible with the magnifying glass provided.
And it was just so lovely to see work that had taken those who produced it, both men and women in the past 50 yrs, such time and effort, simply for the sheer beauty of it. And when I got back home, after driving through rain, hail and brilliant sunshine, I felt heaps better and quite relaxed. I had had a much needed rest, got over the doldrums and enjoyed the afternoon a lot.
Hope it was a good weekend for you and that the summer brings some moments of exquisite beauty for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment